Handwriting Has Significant Importance in Literacy Instruction
Read on to learn more about our handwriting program and to receive
a FREE brochure on letter reversals as well as free offers with the
purchase of the handwriting program.
In the recent past, handwriting has taken a backseat in literacy education. But
research reveals that handwriting is actually, in the words of Laura Stewart, “a
critical piece of foundational reading.” Karin James (2012) states that her research
findings “demonstrate that handwriting is important for the early recruitment in
letter processing of brain regions known to underlie successful reading.”
Given its importance, we believe handwriting should be integrated into the literacy
program. We have designed the highly effective Home Run Handwriting Program,
using the key recommendations of research:
- teach developmentally, knowing that handwriting takes two years to internalize
- teach explicitly, with clear language and simplified stroke formation
- teach systematically, organizing letters by beginning strokes
- teach with intention, considering language needs for directional concepts
and motoric needs (both gross and fine motor)
- teach to align and reinforce reading and spelling development
Many handwriting programs are stand-alone and not connected to reading or
spelling instruction. However, CR Success Learning provides a program that aligns
reading with spelling and decoding. This alignment both reinforces and expands
literacy skills; it helps children make important cognitive connections.
Home Run Handwriting allows teachers to differentiate instruction, with special attention to handwriting difficulties, such as letter reversals.
Click above to download a FREE copy of our brochure, How to Prevent Letter Reversals.
As a special offer, all classroom orders of Home Run Handwriting (a teacher’s guide
and at least two packages of 5 student workbooks) that are submitted before April
10th will receive the following free offers:
- a free set of Desk Plates (package of 10) at the grade level you choose
- a free digital set of Handwriting Letters and Pictures, which show each
manuscript letter with starting points/arrows and the sound picture. This can
be used for teachers to use on interactive white boards
For more information on our Home Run Handwriting Program, go to the Programs menu.